What is Rent to Buy

Rent for today, buy for the future

The rent to buy scheme allows you to rent a quality new home at a reduce rental amount of roughly 80% of the market value, which allows you to save the remaining 20% towards a deposit with the aspiration of buying your home on a Shared Ownership or outright basis.

How does Rent to Buy work?

If you dream of owning your own home but you are struggling to fund the deposit required, rent to buy is the perfect route to help you achieve home ownership.

If you are a working household, you can move into a Rent to Buy property, With Rent to Buy, you move into your new home and rent the property on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy basis for a period of five years. During this time, you’ll pay a reduced rent of just 80% of the full open market rent value. You can purchase your home from us on a Shared Ownership basis during years one to five, or on an outright basis at the end of the five-year term.

What are the benefits of Rent to Buy?

  • You’re able to move into your new home and save towards purchasing the property
  • You’ll pay a reduced rent on the property – 20 percent less than the market rent
  • You can settle in to your new surroundings knowing that you’ll be able to buy the home you’re renting.

Who is eligible for Rent to Buy?

In order to qualify for Rent to Buy, there's a small criteria you must meet. Including:

  • Be registered with Help to Buy
  • A working household
  • Do not currently own a home

Ready to apply?

If you're ready to start your journey to become a home owner but unable to afford the deposit for a Shared Ownership property, Rent to Buy is the perfect first step.

How to apply

Rent To Buy

Want to know more about Rent to Buy?

Find out if Rent to Buy is the right choice for you with our latest guide.

Download Rent to Buy Guide

Frequently asked Rent to Buy questions

  • Home Owner’s returning to the market due to exceptional circumstances, such as a relationship breakdown that can’t afford to buy a home on the open market will be eligible.

  • You will be required to pay:


    Deposit - you will be required to pay the equivalent of five weeks rent as a deposit, which will be protected within the DPS scheme.


    Rent – You will be required to pay the rent for the remainder of the month from your tenancy sign up date and one months rent in advance.


    You will also be responsible for all utility bills associated with the property for the duration of your tenancy. Including council tax, water, gas, electric, TV, Wifi etc.

  • Under your rent to buy agreement, the service charge is inclusive of your rent.

    Once you purchase your home in the future on either an outright or shared ownership basis, there may be a service charge payable which will be discussed with you at the time.

  • An Assured Shorthold Tenancy will be granted, which will run on a periodic basis.

  • The agreement will be for a minimum period of 12 months and a maximum period of five years.

  • Yes, If or when you decide to end your tenancy, we will ask you to give us one calendar month’s notice as a minimum. This will need to be given in writing.

  • This agreement is signed at the start of your tenancy confirming your intentions to save for a deposit and purchase the property in the future where financially possible.